Sunday, March 24, 2013

Continuing with the Dark Mechanicus

Its been a couple of months now playing the dark mechanicus list.  The list has proven to me that it has some merit and for the most part will stand up to a majority of other army lists.  Recently I faced an imperial guard player who played a mechguard list with 10-12 chimeras, and 3 Vendettas.  We played 1750 points, rolled up big guns never tire with vanguard strike.  I played my 1750 list which included the warpsmith, 3 csm squads, an ageis defense line, 3 oblits, a forgefiend, and a maulerfiend.   Like the daemon player I faced in the tournament, this would be a challenging opponent and another that would test my list to the fullest.  I do have to say that one of the unsung heros in my army is the Ageis defense line.  I will never leave my army without it, it provides me with my own piece of cover, a defensive position where I could place my firebase and with the quad gun a weapon that could skyfire.  In this game, it allowed me to weather my opponent's first turn without taking much damage.  My forgefiend opened up and netted me first blood by blowing up a chimera.  My Oblits went next and blew up another chimera with my HQ havoc squad blowing up a third one.  My dice were definitely on fire that first turn and pretty much decided how the game went.  By concentrating on his tanks in the front, I forced my opponent to have to move around his wrecks or roll dangerous terrain tests.  This was the first game I took my maulerfiend which I hid for the first 2 turns as there was nothing in charge range.  By turn 3 I decided to move him up but of course he became bullet bait once his 3 vendettas came on.  My forgefiend also fell prey to them and if it wasnt for my dragons, would have run amok the entire game.  In turns 3-4 the bulk of the heavy lifting came from my 2 CSM squads and the 3 oblits that took turns hammering my opponents chimeras.  I have to say I really hate these multiple veterans squads with either 3 meltas or 3 plasmas, they are way to cheap, these guys kept my opponent in the game and would have won him the game along with his 3 vendettas if it wasnt for the 2 dragons and my obits.  My dragons actually took out 2 of the vendettas with the oblits taking out the last one using twin linked plasma guns.  After taking out his air force it was just a matter of moping up and playing hide and seek with his veteran squads with the 3 plasmas, killing their ride and having the heldrakes munch on them. 

The game ended on turn 6 with my opponent holding 1 objective and me 2 and also having first blood and slay the warlord.  The army is still showing me that it has legs to stand on but I am definitely seeing something.  The list is very dependant on the heldrakes.  They are definitely MVPs every game and I believe until every army gets updated to 6th edition, they will continue to be one of the most hated models on the table top.  I plan on running more troops by adding in more cultists so I might drop one of the heldrakes.  I recently acquired 40 cultists and a dark apostle that I converted using one of the chosen models from the starter box and feel that by having 70 bodies as troops, this might make the game more fun for both me and my opponent.  Fliers are extremely OP right now, having 2 of the most powerful ones might be a little too much for friendly games so I might use the 2nd one for tourneys only. 

No comments:

Post a Comment