Monday, August 9, 2010

Fear... Fear is my Ally...

Yeah,Yeah, I know its been said before but I just love that statement when referencing my Nightlords especially after reading Soul Hunter. Its been a long time since I pulled them back out again, but I decided to for my local GW's Kill team tournament held this last Saturday.

I spent the week leading up to Saturday wondering what army to pull out for this tourney as the 200 points limit really limits my options. I tried the 6 Chaos Terminator list which works great but I was fearing that people would find ways to bring in vehicles or worse dreads. The Termie list I was going to take had no way of killing dreads from range or Close Combat; I tried playing around with taking 2 combi-meltas but relying on 2 one shot guns isn't something I'm to keen on.

I did some practice games with the terminators and found that missing with the combi-meltas could cost me the game. I also tried out a team of 5 Tau stealthsuits. I could do 6 but found that needing 4's to hit was a real downer for me. 5 with targeting arrays did really well in 2 test games that I did with them against a tyranid player and a chaos space marine player.

The stealthfield generator guaranteed that my opponents needed to roll just to see them any time they fired at my suits which caused some frustration. I was about to take these and just remembered that speed, real speed might be the way to go with this one. Tau battlesuits really are not fast, they just appear to be fast and since I really wanted something that could also kill mech, it was going to be tough unless I got rear armor shots; enter my Nightlord Raptors. Yeah, yeah, people hate assault marines and I do admit that they really lost a lot in the 4th ed codex, but being able to take 9 of them with 2 melta guns really was tempting. In the end I took the Nightlords and they preformed great. On average I was facing 5-6 models tops with people taking dreads, landspeeders, terminators and even a Valkyrie. I won 3 of the 4 games including a victory in which the player didnt even get a turn, i blew up his valkyrie in my first turn and he lost 5 of his squad inside and rolled an 11 for his leadership.

I finally ended up losing to my friend where I rolled a 10 on my leadership after losing 5 models, thems the break I guess. Almost pulled it off, oh well, maybe next time. Pics are of some of my Raptors, let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment