Friday, October 4, 2013

The chaos space marine dex and the coming of the hydra



Ok so i just finished reading Goatboys article proclaiming that count as armies are not dead but in fact alive and kicking with regards to the new space marine codex.   Many took the article as a power gamer again bitching about the crap that is the chaos dex and in fact a lot of the comments made reflects this idea.  His reputation as a spam artist and power gamer really doesn't help his cause but I read more than just his complaining.  He actually has a point in regards to count -as.  I for one love count-as armies if the hobbiest put in the time and effort to make sure everything is WYSIWYG or lovingly converted his/her army to play as a different army.  During the last couple of years of the old chaos dex, I built a new chaos army with some left over parts that i had and painted it in the colors of skyrar`s dark wolves which is one of the only off shoots of the space wolves that turned to chaos, per bolter and chainsword anyways.  The warband actually made it into the old chaos dex and the color scheme was available in the space marine game as a chaos skin which made me feel even more vindicated... lol.. me anyways.  I purposely built the army to play using the space wolves codex as I really wanted to run an army of cheap dogs and 3 super lords riding khorne juggernauts.  Every last detail i put into the army from wolf standards to berserkers being blood claws to equipment so that any opponent i played knew what everything was.  I even started painting up 5 drop pods for the army but got caught up in other projects that i stopped.  Whats my point, the point is this, if a player spends the time to convert an army and makes the army WYSIWYG, what is the problem?  I understand that a lot of people love to codex jump just to play the newest and most powerful dex but should we poopoo players who actually put in the time?  Who am I to tell people how to play their game,if a person I play is guilty of just codex jumping just because he is a power gamer with his half painted, missing arms, heads army I always have the right to just not play him.  The fact is I have no problem playing people who codex jump as long as I can tell what each model is supposed to represent just by looking at them.  And I guess that's my long winded point, as long as I know what I'm playing, I'm fine with it.  What about tournaments?  On this my opinion differs just slightly, at the end of the day its the TO's call.  If he/she says no to count as armies so be it, its their event and they can run it anyway they want. 

What did I mean about the hydra strikes in my title?  According to rumors, the next chaos codex supplement coming out is Alpha Legion. Due out in January I for one cant wait for this.  I am hoping that this will be the start of supplements with some real meat err um rules that really shake up the CSM codex.  Something that really changes how an Alpha Legion army play compared to a Black Legion army.  I really want to believe that these supplements are going somewhere.  With the new space marine one dropping this month, we shall see what we can expect from the supplements to come.  Speaking of the Black Legion army supplement, I was able to get a copy of it and its definitely not as bad as everyone is saying it is. There is definitely a lack of rules in regards to changes to the army specifically but some of the artifacts, the fact that it adds an extra slot through allying, to taking chosen as troops without the Abaddon tax is pretty good.  The internet is all abuzz about the eternal shield that the space marines get, the black legion has an artifact that also gives you eternal warrior, though not a shield its still an option which is great.

2 comments:

  1. you wonderful person i hope your right about alpha legion suppliment coming in January as that is what i play and im trying to build a list that does them justice they do not live in the warp as such most of my troops are converted vanilla marines (chaos but not too much) and the current dex doesnt really fit them too well so it will be good to see what they come up with, and as for gaming its all about fun at the end of the day painted or not just enjoy the hobby

    El Reevo
    Wolvesinarms.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. you and me both Luke, I cant wait for this; I am really holding out hope on these supplements that the next ones will definitely change how the army is played. Keeping my fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete