Friday, February 11, 2011

Playing the so-called Net list....


Ok, Ok, Ok, so the past few months I have been going on about playing with my pre-hersey Thousand Sons army but lately I got the bug to play my Chaos Space Wolves again, though this army is not completely painted, its about 75% done with only about 20 models left to paint. I am like Bill from the Gamerslounge, I hate playing with an unpainted army. When last I played the army, it had virtually no mech; though its argued I'm playing a so-called net list because of my 3 wolf lords, I have yet to see one played with no mech or drop pods. The 3 wolf list I started playing back before it became all of the rage and due to that rage I found myself not wanting to play it as I hate to be called a power gamer.

The group of friends I play games with are not what you call "power gamers", they are pretty much the beer and pretzel gamer with limited time (only 1 day a week) to indulge in a hobby that they love. I love the atmosphere for this reason as it allows me to take crazy unbalanced lists and still have a good time even though I lose with them. I wanted to try the wolves with drop pods as the times I played with my army, my opponents would concentrate all fire on my wolf lords and by the time they got into combat, they had lost their dog bodyguard and already lost some of their wounds. I figured that by dropping say 2-3 drop pods in turn 1 my opponent would have to concentrate on them thus allowing my wolf lords and my long fangs time to either start taking out vehicles or assaulting squads. In 1750, I could only get about 4 drop pods full of grey hunters so I might try either running cheaper long fangs or cheaper Lords as I want to drop 5 drop pods. We usually play 1750 so that is what I build my lists for.

Last week I played against an Eldar player, playing 1850 points; football (auto tie mission), with spearhead deployment. The eldar player has been using his army for almost 2 years now and has become one of our better players. He runs combination footdar/mech list but for this game he wanted to try something different so he opted for a complete Footdar army complete with 10 Wraithguard.

The game was extremely close and ended in a predicable tie however by all regards, my opponent should have beat me. Was it the power of my codex or my opponent just having bad luck. You want to know what the deal was? I had 2 long fangs squads left, he had practically tabled me and I caused his last scoring unit to run off the table due to the fact my long fangs were able to split fire. No other army has this ability, to be able to do it and for so cheap. I am still trying to learn the army (this being my 5 game with them) but having so close games where I would have lost if I was using any older codex really makes me want GW to finally update all of the codexes to 5th edition. Its no small wonder why Space wolves are so popular. I will probably finish painting the army before I play them again.

Right now as I mentioned in my last post, my local GW is running a month long campaign. I wanted to play chaos as I think my friend will be running his wolves and so I wanted to run something different. I thought about running my Thousand Sons but with a 1250 point limit, I would be really limiting myself in choices. I decided to pull out my old army, my first Chaos army and first army that I had actually finished painting.

I decided to bring out the Nightlords. I will post the list I am running in my next post along with results of my first games with them. It's been about a year since I pulled them out, as this is a fun campaign, it just sounded like fun to use these guys again. Who knows maybe they will surprise everybody like they did when I ran an all raptor kill team during the Kill team tournament we had and actually took 3rd place. Pics are of my Chaos Space wolves, 2 of my Thunder Lords, some dogs, and a grey hunter squad.

No comments:

Post a Comment